If the first accusation was ‘unfounded,’ does this resignation mean the second one isn’t?
Via NY Times
Kevin Clash, the longtime voice and puppeteer behind Sesame Street’s Elmo character, has resigned in the aftermath of allegations that he had underage sexual relationships.
Mr. Clash was first accused last week of sexual improprieties by a 24-year-old man who later recanted. That man has remained anonymous.
The announcement of Mr. Clash’s resignation came at around the same time that a lawsuit was filed in federal court in New York accusing him of “sexual activity” with a second accuser, Cecil Singleton, 24, who was 15 at the time the alleged relationship started. The suit said that Mr. Singleton “did not become aware that he had suffered adverse psychological and emotional effects from Kevin Clash’s sexual acts and conduct until 2012.” It sought $5 million in damages.
Last week, Sesame Workshop said the first man’s accusations were unfounded. The organization did not have any immediate comment about the second man’s lawsuit on Tuesday. But in a statement, it said:
Sesame Workshop’s mission is to harness the educational power of media to help all children the world over reach their highest potential. Kevin Clash has helped us achieve that mission for 28 years, and none of us, especially Kevin, want anything to divert our attention from our focus on serving as a leading educational organization. Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding Kevin’s personal life has become a distraction that none of us want, and he has concluded that he can no longer be effective in his job and has resigned from Sesame Street. This is a sad day for Sesame Street.
Read more at this link.
- Kevin Clash, Elmo puppeteer, resigns (wjla.com)
- Elmo actor Kevin Clash resigns amid sex allegation (sacbee.com)
- Voice of Elmo Kevin Clash Resigns from Sesame Street (tmz.com)
- Sesame Workshop: Elmo Actor Kevin Clash Resigns Amid Sex Allegation (newyork.cbslocal.com)