Vice President Joe Biden recently told the NRA that the Federal Government ‘doesn’t have the time’ to enforce existing gun laws (something the NRA has proposed) and instead is pushing ahead with creating new ones.
Considering gun prosecutions under the Obama administration are down 45%, shouldn’t Congress and the President focus on that?
During the National Rifle Association’s meeting with Vice President Joe Biden and the White House gun violence task force, the vice president said the Obama administration does not have the time to fully enforce existing gun laws.
Jim Baker, the NRA representative present at the meeting, recalled the vice president’s words during an interview with The Daily Caller: “And to your point, Mr. Baker, regarding the lack of prosecutions on lying on Form 4473s, we simply don’t have the time or manpower to prosecute everybody who lies on a form, that checks a wrong box, that answers a question inaccurately.”
Submitting false information on an ATF Form 4473 — required for the necessary background check to obtain a firearm — is a felony punishable by up to ten years in prison, depending on prior convictions and a judge’s discretion, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
Baker, the NRA’s director of federal affairs, told TheDC that he was given five minutes to present the NRA’s concerns and the approach the group saw as being the most effective to prevent another massacre like the Newtown, Conn. shooting. During those five minutes, he said, he mentioned the need to prosecute existing gun laws.
Read more at this link.
(Cross posted at The Alexandrian)
- Why Pass New Laws If You Won’t Enforce Existing Ones? (onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com)
- Biden To NRA: We ‘Don’t Have The Time’ To Prosecute Gun Buyers Who Lie On Background Checks (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Joe Biden: ‘We Don’t Have Time To Prosecute Everybody Who Lies’ On Background Checks (freedomoutpost.com)
- Pass More Gun Laws Even Though We Don’t Enforce the Ones We Have (independentsentinel.com)
- Biden: We need more gun laws because we don’t have time to enforce the ones we have (hotair.com)